The University of Georgia

The University of Georgia

The University of Georgia

Overview
Date Founded

1921

Headquarters

999 Brumby Hall,Athens, GA 30609

Charitable Causes

Higher Education & Universities

Employees (Worldwide)

10K - 1M

Company Description

When the University of Georgia was incorporated by an act of the General Assembly on January 27, 1785, Georgia became the first state to charter a state-supported university. In 1784 the General Assembly had set aside 40,000 acres of land to endow a college or seminary of learning. At the first meeting of the board of trustees, held in Augusta on February 13, 1786, Abraham Baldwin was selected president of the university. A native of Connecticut and a graduate of Yale University, Baldwin -- who had come to Georgia in 1784 -- drafted the charter adopted by the General Assembly. The university was actually established in 1801 when a committee of the board of trustees selected a land site. John Milledge, later a governor of the state, purchased and gave to the board of trustees the chosen tract of 633 acres on the banks of the Oconee River in northeast Georgia. Josiah Meigs was named president of the university and work was begun on the first building, originally called Franklin College in honor of Benjamin Franklin and now known as Old College. The university graduated its first class in 1804. The curriculum of traditional classical studies was broadened in 1843 to include courses in law, and again in 1872 when the university received federal funds for instruction in agriculture and mechanical arts. Seventeen colleges and schools, with auxiliary divisions, carry on the university’s programs of teaching, research, and service. These colleges and schools and the dates of their establishment as separate administrative units are: Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, 1801; College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, 1859; School of Law, 1859; College of Pharmacy, 1903; D. B. Daniel B. Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources, 1906; College of Education, 1908; Graduate School, 1910; C. Herman and Mary Virginia Terry College of Business, 1912; Henry W. Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication, 1915; College of Family and Consumer Sciences, 1933; College of Veterinary Medicine, 1946; School of Social Work, 1964; College of Environment and Design, 1969; School of Public and International Affairs, 2001; the College of Public Health, 2005, the Odum School of Ecology, 2007 and the College of Engineering, 2012. The Division of General Extension, now the Georgia Center for Continuing Education Conference Center & Hotel, was incorporated into the university in 1947. In 1931 the General Assembly of Georgia placed all state-supported institutions of higher education, including UGA, under the jurisdiction of a single board. This organization, known as the University System of Georgia, is governed by the board of regents. The board of regents’ executive officer, the chancellor, exercises a general supervisory control over all institutions of the University System, with each institution having its own executive officers and faculty.

Contact Data
Trying to get in touch with decision makers at The University of Georgia? Subscribe today to access their professional contact information and receive a one time promotion of free Contact Data credits!
Executives & Employees

President

Owner

Vice President for Development & Alumni Relations & Executive Director of the Uga Foundation Office of the Vice President

Executive Director

Distinguished Alumni
Daniel P. Amos is now Chairman & Chief Executive Officer at Aflac, Inc.
Paths to The University of Georgia
Potential Connections via
Relationship Science
You
The University of Georgia
Advisors & Consultants
Consultant

Vice Chancellor, University Relations at University of California - Santa Cruz

Clients

ECO Animal Health Group Plc engages in the development, registration and marketing of pharmaceutical products for animals. It distributes antibiotics and bacterial infection treatments under the following brands: Aivlosin, Ecomectin, Ecoheart, Ecotraz, Ecomintic, Chlortetracycline, and Oxytetracycline. The company was founded by Peter Anthony Lawrence and Barry Day in 1972 and is headquartered in New Malden, the United Kingdom.

Hortifrut Chile SA, part of Hortifrut SA, is a Chilean company located in Huechuraba. The firm produces and markets berries. Alberto Nicolás Moller Opazo is the current CEO of the firm.

Non-Profit Donations & Grants Received
Investments
Details Hidden

Reach Health was born from a desire to bring the expertise of neurologists to rural and underserved populations to generate better patient outcomes. They are a web-service provider, enabling specialists such as neurologists to consult patients in remote or underserved hospitals. Their platform delivers on the promise of telemedicine by enabling complete and efficient remote consults in time-critical situations. Users of the REACH network have delivered better outcomes for thousands of stroke patients while generating new revenues for physicians and their hospitals.

Suppliers
Ruckus Wireless, Inc. Pension Funds & Sovereign Wealth | Sunnyvale, CA

Ruckus Wireless is a pioneer in the wireless infrastructure market, enabling carriers and enterprises to stay ahead of the exploding demand for high-bandwidth applications and services. The Ruckus Smart Wi-Fi technology redefines what’s possible in wireless network performance with flexibility, reliability, and affordability. We call this Pervasive Performance. See what Ruckus is all about We've been singularly focused on Pervasive Performance in wireless since beginning operations in 2004, and we continue to lead the industry in performance innovation. We have never relied on off-the-shelf, reference design radio technology – it just doesn’t deliver the capacity, range or interference mitigation necessary to make the dream of high performance wireless a reality. Instead, we’ve assembled a team of the best and brightest wireless minds in the world to deliver the creative solutions needed to realize our Pervasive Performance vision.

Awards & Honors
Rank #275
2010
The Chronicle of Philanthropy - Philanthropy 400
Rank #281
2009
The Chronicle of Philanthropy - Philanthropy 400
This web site is not endorsed by, directly affiliated with, maintained, authorized, or sponsored by The University of Georgia. The use of any trade name or trademark is for identification and reference purposes only and does not imply any association with the trademark holder. The Presence of The University of Georgia's profile does not indicate a business or promotional relationship of any kind between RelSci and The University of Georgia.