John Croghan

Vice Chairman at Big Shoulders Fund

John Croghan

John Croghan

Vice Chairman at Big Shoulders Fund

Overview
Career Highlights

Lincoln Partners LLC
Rail-Splitter Capital Management LLC
Lincoln Capital Management Co.

RelSci Relationships

1671

Number of Boards

18

Birthday

1931

Age

89

Contact Data
Trying to get in touch with John Croghan? Subscribe today to access their professional contact information and receive a one time promotion of free Contact Data credits!
Relationships
RelSci Relationships are individuals John Croghan likely has professional access to. A relationship does not necessarily indicate a personal connection.

President at DirecTech LLC

Relationship likelihood: Strong

Professional at RSG Underwriting Managers LLC

Relationship likelihood: Strong

Co-Chairman at Big Shoulders Fund

Relationship likelihood: Strong

President at Rail-Splitter Capital Management LLC

Relationship likelihood: Strong

President & Chief Executive Officer at Illinois Tool Works, Inc.

Relationship likelihood: Strong

Former Chief Executive Officer at Illinois Tool Works, Inc.

Relationship likelihood: Strong

Former Chairman & Chief Executive Officer at Commonwealth Edison Company

Relationship likelihood: Strong

Former President at General Dynamics Corporation

Relationship likelihood: Strong

Co-Founder at Madison Dearborn Partners LLC

Relationship likelihood: Strong

Senior Counsel at McDermott Will & Emery LLP

Relationship likelihood: Strong

Paths to John Croghan
Potential Connections via
Relationship Science
You
John Croghan
Vice Chairman at Big Shoulders Fund
Education
Attendee

Loyola University Chicago, a private university founded in 1870 as St. Ignatius College, is one of the nation’s largest Jesuit, Catholic Universities and the only one located in Chicago. Loyola University Chicago comprises four campuses: Lake Shore (LSC), Water Tower (WTC), Health Sciences (HSC), and the John Felice Rome Center in Italy, and is home to ten schools and colleges: Quinlan School of Business, Marcella Niehoff School of Nursing, Stritch School of Medicine, College of Arts and Sciences, School of Communication, School of Continuing and Professional Studies, School of Education, School of Law, School of Social Work, and Graduate School. Loyola also features course locations in Beijing, China; Saigon-Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam; Vernon Hills, Illinois (Cuneo Mansion and Gardens); and a Retreat and Ecology Campus in Woodstock, Illinois.

MBA

Harvard Business School (HBS) is the graduate business school of Harvard University in Boston, Massachusetts, United States. The school offers a large full-time MBA program, doctoral programs, and many executive education programs. It owns Harvard Business School Publishing, which publishes business books, leadership articles, online management tools for corporate learning, case studies, and the monthly Harvard Business Review.

Memberships
Member
Current

The Mission of the CFA Institute is to lead the investment profession globally by promoting the highest standards of ethics, education, and professional excellence for the ultimate benefit of society.

Career History
President & General Partner
Prior

Lincoln Partners LLC offers capital raising, mergers & acquisitions support, and other corporate finance services. The firm was founded in 1996 by co-chairmen Robert Barr and Jim Lawson. Lincoln Partners offers its services internationally through partnerships with investment banks in Germany and Japan. Lincoln Partners is a leading middle market investment headquartered in Chicago-IL.

Co-Founder & Chairman
2002 - ?

Rail-Splitter Capital Management's analysts apply a fundamental, bottom-up approach to identify both long investments and short candidates. They are stock pickers and believe their edge is deep sector expertise and experience with company management teams and business models. The investment horizon for long positions is 1 to 3 years. They look for companies with superior long-term growth prospects and sustainable competitive positions. The time horizon for shorts is nearer-term as sector analysts target companies they believe will experience fundamental disappointment in the next 1 to 2 quarters.They typically hold a diversified long portfolio of 35 to 45 positions. Typical position size is 2% to 5% of equity with their best ideas to materially impact portfolio performance. They typically hold 50 to 80 short positions with sizes between 50 bps and 200 bps of equity. The short portfolio holding period is typically 1 to 2 quarters. Net market exposure is typically 40% to 60%.

Founder
1967 - 2000
Boards & Committees
Director
Current

Schwarz Paper Co. distributes & supplies wrapping paper, towels, toilet tissue, tape, plates and napkins. The company was founded in 1899 and is headquartered in Lincoln, NE.

Director
2011 - Prior

Evanston Capital Management LLC provides investment advisory services. It specializes in the construction of multi-manager hedge fund programs. The company was founded by David L. Wagner, Adam B. Blitz, Kenneth A. Meister, and Ryan D. Cahill in 2002 and is headquartered in Evanston, IL.

Co-Founder & Chairman
2002 - Prior

Rail-Splitter Capital Management's analysts apply a fundamental, bottom-up approach to identify both long investments and short candidates. They are stock pickers and believe their edge is deep sector expertise and experience with company management teams and business models. The investment horizon for long positions is 1 to 3 years. They look for companies with superior long-term growth prospects and sustainable competitive positions. The time horizon for shorts is nearer-term as sector analysts target companies they believe will experience fundamental disappointment in the next 1 to 2 quarters.They typically hold a diversified long portfolio of 35 to 45 positions. Typical position size is 2% to 5% of equity with their best ideas to materially impact portfolio performance. They typically hold 50 to 80 short positions with sizes between 50 bps and 200 bps of equity. The short portfolio holding period is typically 1 to 2 quarters. Net market exposure is typically 40% to 60%.

Member, Board of Trustees
Current
Vice Chairman, Board of Directors
Current

Inspired by Joseph Cardinal Bernardin, Big Shoulders Fund was founded by a group of business and civic leaders in 1986 to provide support to Catholic schools in the neediest areas of inner-city Chicago. For more than twenty-eight years, Big Shoulders Fund has helped Chicago’s children in need achieve their dreams through access to a quality, values-based education. They accomplish this by investing more than $20 million annually in scholarship support and academic enrichment for students, operational improvements for schools, leadership development programs for the next generation of school leaders, and academic programs and professional development for teachers. Big Shoulders is unique in that administrative expenses are supported by an endowment and other income, which ensures 100 percent of funds currently raised go toward programs that benefit Big Shoulders Fund schools and the students they serve. For eleven years in a row, they have earned a four-star rating from Charity Navigator for operating efficiently and transparently, a status held by just one percent of charities. It is important to Big Shoulders Fund that all donors are informed and educated on the organization’s health and success.

Non-Profit Donations & Grants

Learn how non-profit organizations benefit from RelSci
$1,000 - $2,499
2017

The Chicago History Museum (CHM) is the city’s oldest cultural institution. Founded in 1856 and incorporated in 1857 by an act of the state legislature, the Chicago Historical Society and its collection grew and opened its first building at the corner of Dearborn and Ontario Streets. That building and the most of the collection, however, burned during the Great Fire of 1871. After three years and a second fire that destroyed most of the remaining collection, the Society renewed its operations. Occupying temporary buildings on the same site until 1896, the organization built a massive stone edifice designed by Henry Ives Cobb, which housed the Gilpin Library and exhibition spaces. In 1920, the Society purchased thousands of manuscripts and hundreds of paintings and historical artifacts from the estate of Charles F. Gunther, including the bed on which Abraham Lincoln died and George Washington’s compass. In the late 1920s, the trustees began planning a new $1 million museum to house its growing collection and to celebrate the city’s centennial. Designed by Graham, Anderson, Probst & White, the Georgian colonial building opened in 1932 in Lincoln Park at Clark Street at North Avenue. That building, with various additions, renovations, and improvements, has served as the organization's home ever since. In 1972, the Society unveiled a modern limestone addition by Alfred Shaw and Associates. In 1988, Holabird and Root "wrapped" the limestone addition in a red brick modern adaptation of the 1932 building and added underground storage and new gallery spaces. In February 2006, the Chicago Historical Society announced its new name: The Chicago History Museum. After renovating approximately 75 percent of its public space, the Museum now features a dramatic new lobby as well as new galleries and exhibitions and a redesigned Museum Store.

$5,000 - $10K
2015

The Chicago History Museum (CHM) is the city’s oldest cultural institution. Founded in 1856 and incorporated in 1857 by an act of the state legislature, the Chicago Historical Society and its collection grew and opened its first building at the corner of Dearborn and Ontario Streets. That building and the most of the collection, however, burned during the Great Fire of 1871. After three years and a second fire that destroyed most of the remaining collection, the Society renewed its operations. Occupying temporary buildings on the same site until 1896, the organization built a massive stone edifice designed by Henry Ives Cobb, which housed the Gilpin Library and exhibition spaces. In 1920, the Society purchased thousands of manuscripts and hundreds of paintings and historical artifacts from the estate of Charles F. Gunther, including the bed on which Abraham Lincoln died and George Washington’s compass. In the late 1920s, the trustees began planning a new $1 million museum to house its growing collection and to celebrate the city’s centennial. Designed by Graham, Anderson, Probst & White, the Georgian colonial building opened in 1932 in Lincoln Park at Clark Street at North Avenue. That building, with various additions, renovations, and improvements, has served as the organization's home ever since. In 1972, the Society unveiled a modern limestone addition by Alfred Shaw and Associates. In 1988, Holabird and Root "wrapped" the limestone addition in a red brick modern adaptation of the 1932 building and added underground storage and new gallery spaces. In February 2006, the Chicago Historical Society announced its new name: The Chicago History Museum. After renovating approximately 75 percent of its public space, the Museum now features a dramatic new lobby as well as new galleries and exhibitions and a redesigned Museum Store.

$10K +
2014

The Chicago History Museum (CHM) is the city’s oldest cultural institution. Founded in 1856 and incorporated in 1857 by an act of the state legislature, the Chicago Historical Society and its collection grew and opened its first building at the corner of Dearborn and Ontario Streets. That building and the most of the collection, however, burned during the Great Fire of 1871. After three years and a second fire that destroyed most of the remaining collection, the Society renewed its operations. Occupying temporary buildings on the same site until 1896, the organization built a massive stone edifice designed by Henry Ives Cobb, which housed the Gilpin Library and exhibition spaces. In 1920, the Society purchased thousands of manuscripts and hundreds of paintings and historical artifacts from the estate of Charles F. Gunther, including the bed on which Abraham Lincoln died and George Washington’s compass. In the late 1920s, the trustees began planning a new $1 million museum to house its growing collection and to celebrate the city’s centennial. Designed by Graham, Anderson, Probst & White, the Georgian colonial building opened in 1932 in Lincoln Park at Clark Street at North Avenue. That building, with various additions, renovations, and improvements, has served as the organization's home ever since. In 1972, the Society unveiled a modern limestone addition by Alfred Shaw and Associates. In 1988, Holabird and Root "wrapped" the limestone addition in a red brick modern adaptation of the 1932 building and added underground storage and new gallery spaces. In February 2006, the Chicago Historical Society announced its new name: The Chicago History Museum. After renovating approximately 75 percent of its public space, the Museum now features a dramatic new lobby as well as new galleries and exhibitions and a redesigned Museum Store.

Political Donations
$1,000
2010

Senator from Ohio

$2,000
2004

Member-Development Commission at Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association

$4,000
2004

President at Central Street Games LLC

Transactions
Details Hidden

Rail Splitter Select Fund LP raised money in a private placement transaction

This web site is not endorsed by, directly affiliated with, maintained, authorized, or sponsored by John Croghan. The use of any trade name or trademark is for identification and reference purposes only and does not imply any association with the trademark holder. The Presence of John Croghan's profile does not indicate a business or promotional relationship of any kind between RelSci and John Croghan.