John L. Howard

Senior Vice President & General Counsel at W.W. Grainger, Inc.

John L. Howard

John L. Howard

Senior Vice President & General Counsel at W.W. Grainger, Inc.

Overview
Career Highlights

W.W. Grainger, Inc.
Glenwood Academy
Tenneco, Inc.

RelSci Relationships

1778

Number of Boards

9

Birthday

1957

Age

62

Relationships
RelSci Relationships are individuals John L. Howard likely has professional access to. A relationship does not necessarily indicate a personal connection.

Executive Vice President, Finance & Administration & Chief Financial Officer at Chicago Botanic Garden

Relationship likelihood: Strong

Co-Founder at Catholic Investment Services, Inc.

Relationship likelihood: Strong

Director, Vice Chairman-Finance & Investment at Chicago Botanic Garden

Relationship likelihood: Strong

Director at Chicago Botanic Garden

Relationship likelihood: Strong

Chairman & Chief Executive Officer at W.W. Grainger, Inc.

Relationship likelihood: Strong

Partner at Reed Smith LLP

Relationship likelihood: Strong

Partner at Mayer Brown LLP

Relationship likelihood: Strong

Former President at Chicago Botanic Garden

Relationship likelihood: Strong

Vice President, Science & Chief Scientist at Chicago Botanic Garden

Relationship likelihood: Strong

Vice President, Government Affairs at Chicago Botanic Garden

Relationship likelihood: Strong

Paths to John L. Howard
Potential Connections via
Relationship Science
You
John L. Howard
Senior Vice President & General Counsel at W.W. Grainger, Inc.
Education
Advanced Management Program
Class of 2003

Harvard Business School (HBS) is the graduate business school of Harvard University in Boston, Massachusetts, United States. The school offers a large full-time MBA program, doctoral programs, and many executive education programs. It owns Harvard Business School Publishing, which publishes business books, leadership articles, online management tools for corporate learning, case studies, and the monthly Harvard Business Review.

LLM with Highest Honors
Class of 1989

Since enrolling its first class in 1865, The George Washington University Law School has produced some of the finest minds across the spectrum of legal scholarship. That tradition continues today, as GW Law graduates use the knowledge and skills they gain here to influence the critical legal conversations of our times.

JD
Class of 1982

Indiana University Maurer School of Law is a school.

Bachelor of Science in Finance with Honors
Class of 1979

Founded in 1920 as the Indiana University School of Commerce and Finance, the Kelley School has grown into one of the most respected business schools in the world. The Kelley School offers undergraduate, MBA, master’s, graduate certificates, and doctoral degrees at IU’s Bloomington and Indianapolis campuses.

Career History
Senior Vice President & General Counsel
2000 - Current

Grainger helps customers save time and money by providing them the right products to keep their facilities up and running. Grainger's customers are 2.0 million businesses and institutions in 157 countries. While each customer has a unique facility to operate and a different problem to solve, our customers all share the same requirement: when they need one of Grainger's products, they often need it right away. With more than 21,446 team members, the Grainger team works closely with customers to better understand their challenges and provide cost-saving solutions. Grainger's team members serve customers around 96,000 times every day through multiple channels. With 2011 sales at $8.1 billion, Grainger is a Fortune 500 company and a perennial member of Fortune magazine's Most Admired Companies list

Vice Chairman
Current

The mission of the Chicago Botanic Garden is to promote the enjoyment, understanding, and conservation of plants and the natural world. The Garden continues to strive to meet the lofty goals set more than a century ago. The Chicago Botanic Garden, with its world-renowned plant collections and displays, is one of the country's most visited public gardens and a preeminent center for learning and scientific research. The 385-acre Garden features 26 display gardens and four natural areas, uniquely situated on nine islands surrounded by lakes. HISTORY The Chicago Horticultural Society was founded in 1890. At its heart was the understanding that the city of Chicago was incorporated with the Latin words Urbs in Horto, meaning "city in a garden." The Society hosted nationally recognized flower and horticultural shows from its beginning. Information on the first show the new Society hosted is lost to history, but records archived at the Chicago Botanic Garden confirm the second show was held in the autumn of 1892 at the Regiment Armory, possibly at 1542 South Michigan Avenue, where a new armory opened in 1890. With two successful annual shows behind them, the Society next hosted the World’s Columbian Exposition Chrysanthemum Show, held in conjunction with the world’s fair in the autumn of 1893, at the newly built and just-opened Art Institute of Chicago. After a period of inactivity, the Chicago Horticultural Society was restarted in 1943. In 1962, modern history begins when the Society agreed to help create and manage a new public garden. With the groundbreaking for the Garden in 1965 and its opening in 1972, the Society created a permanent site on which to carry out its mission. The mission encompasses three important components: collections, education, and research. In 2012, the Chicago Botanic Garden celebrated its 40th anniversary. In looking back over the Garden's growth since 1972, Garden staff, members, and visitors could appreciate the remarkable changes that had taken place. The 40th anniversary website included a timeline of significant events, historical photos, and opportunities for community members to share their experiences at the Garden

Senior Vice President & General Counsel
Tenure Unconfirmed

To provide a high quality education and residential program for students from lower income and single-parent families.

Boards & Committees
Director
Current

Acklands-Grainger, Inc. distributes industrial, safety, and fastener products. It offers tools, metalworking, electrical, facility maintenance, material handling, safety, equipment, and fleet. The firm provides technical and product support services, as well as inventory management services. The company was founded by Dudley Ackland in 1889 and is headquartered in Thornhill, Canada.

Director
Current

Grainger Global Online Business Ltd., part of W.W. Grainger, Inc., is a British company located in London that provides investment services. The firm was founded in 2013.

Vice Chairman, Board of Directors
Current

The mission of the Chicago Botanic Garden is to promote the enjoyment, understanding, and conservation of plants and the natural world. The Garden continues to strive to meet the lofty goals set more than a century ago. The Chicago Botanic Garden, with its world-renowned plant collections and displays, is one of the country's most visited public gardens and a preeminent center for learning and scientific research. The 385-acre Garden features 26 display gardens and four natural areas, uniquely situated on nine islands surrounded by lakes. HISTORY The Chicago Horticultural Society was founded in 1890. At its heart was the understanding that the city of Chicago was incorporated with the Latin words Urbs in Horto, meaning "city in a garden." The Society hosted nationally recognized flower and horticultural shows from its beginning. Information on the first show the new Society hosted is lost to history, but records archived at the Chicago Botanic Garden confirm the second show was held in the autumn of 1892 at the Regiment Armory, possibly at 1542 South Michigan Avenue, where a new armory opened in 1890. With two successful annual shows behind them, the Society next hosted the World’s Columbian Exposition Chrysanthemum Show, held in conjunction with the world’s fair in the autumn of 1893, at the newly built and just-opened Art Institute of Chicago. After a period of inactivity, the Chicago Horticultural Society was restarted in 1943. In 1962, modern history begins when the Society agreed to help create and manage a new public garden. With the groundbreaking for the Garden in 1965 and its opening in 1972, the Society created a permanent site on which to carry out its mission. The mission encompasses three important components: collections, education, and research. In 2012, the Chicago Botanic Garden celebrated its 40th anniversary. In looking back over the Garden's growth since 1972, Garden staff, members, and visitors could appreciate the remarkable changes that had taken place. The 40th anniversary website included a timeline of significant events, historical photos, and opportunities for community members to share their experiences at the Garden

Member, Board of Trustees
Current

Rush is a not-for-profit academic medical center comprising Rush University Medical Center, Rush University, Rush Oak Park Hospital and Rush Health. Renowned Patient Care Rush University Medical Center encompasses a 664-bed hospital serving adults and children, including the Johnston R. Bowman Health Center, which provides medical and rehabilitative care to older adults and people with short- and long-term disabilities. It includes Rush's 376-bed Tower hospital building, which opened in 2012 as part of the Medical Center's major campus renovation. Rush's commitment to sustainability innovation earned the Tower LEED Gold certification. It is the largest new construction health care project in the world to be LEED Gold certified. Rush's renovation also includes Rush's Orthopedic Building, which opened in 2010, and the ongoing campuswide implementation of an electronic medical record system, enhancing patient care and safety. A unique combination of research and patient care has earned Rush national rankings in 11 of 16 specialty areas in U.S. News & World Report's 2012-13 America's Best Hospitals issue, among other recognitions of our quality of care and accreditations. Our nurses are at the forefront of our efforts to provide quality care, receiving Magnet status three times for making outstanding nursing care the standard at the Medical Center. Rush was the first hospital in Illinois serving adults and children to receive Magnet status — the highest honor in nursing — and the first in Illinois to earn a third four-year designation. And some of the world’s best athletes trust themselves to the hands of our physicians. Rush is proud to be the preferred hospital for the Chicago Bulls and home to the team physicians for both the Chicago Bulls and the Chicago White Sox.

Member, Legal Advisory Council
Current
Non-Profit Donations & Grants

Learn how non-profit organizations benefit from RelSci
$1,500 - $2,499
2014

The mission of the Chicago Botanic Garden is to promote the enjoyment, understanding, and conservation of plants and the natural world. The Garden continues to strive to meet the lofty goals set more than a century ago. The Chicago Botanic Garden, with its world-renowned plant collections and displays, is one of the country's most visited public gardens and a preeminent center for learning and scientific research. The 385-acre Garden features 26 display gardens and four natural areas, uniquely situated on nine islands surrounded by lakes. HISTORY The Chicago Horticultural Society was founded in 1890. At its heart was the understanding that the city of Chicago was incorporated with the Latin words Urbs in Horto, meaning "city in a garden." The Society hosted nationally recognized flower and horticultural shows from its beginning. Information on the first show the new Society hosted is lost to history, but records archived at the Chicago Botanic Garden confirm the second show was held in the autumn of 1892 at the Regiment Armory, possibly at 1542 South Michigan Avenue, where a new armory opened in 1890. With two successful annual shows behind them, the Society next hosted the World’s Columbian Exposition Chrysanthemum Show, held in conjunction with the world’s fair in the autumn of 1893, at the newly built and just-opened Art Institute of Chicago. After a period of inactivity, the Chicago Horticultural Society was restarted in 1943. In 1962, modern history begins when the Society agreed to help create and manage a new public garden. With the groundbreaking for the Garden in 1965 and its opening in 1972, the Society created a permanent site on which to carry out its mission. The mission encompasses three important components: collections, education, and research. In 2012, the Chicago Botanic Garden celebrated its 40th anniversary. In looking back over the Garden's growth since 1972, Garden staff, members, and visitors could appreciate the remarkable changes that had taken place. The 40th anniversary website included a timeline of significant events, historical photos, and opportunities for community members to share their experiences at the Garden

$25K - $50K
2013

The mission of the Chicago Botanic Garden is to promote the enjoyment, understanding, and conservation of plants and the natural world. The Garden continues to strive to meet the lofty goals set more than a century ago. The Chicago Botanic Garden, with its world-renowned plant collections and displays, is one of the country's most visited public gardens and a preeminent center for learning and scientific research. The 385-acre Garden features 26 display gardens and four natural areas, uniquely situated on nine islands surrounded by lakes. HISTORY The Chicago Horticultural Society was founded in 1890. At its heart was the understanding that the city of Chicago was incorporated with the Latin words Urbs in Horto, meaning "city in a garden." The Society hosted nationally recognized flower and horticultural shows from its beginning. Information on the first show the new Society hosted is lost to history, but records archived at the Chicago Botanic Garden confirm the second show was held in the autumn of 1892 at the Regiment Armory, possibly at 1542 South Michigan Avenue, where a new armory opened in 1890. With two successful annual shows behind them, the Society next hosted the World’s Columbian Exposition Chrysanthemum Show, held in conjunction with the world’s fair in the autumn of 1893, at the newly built and just-opened Art Institute of Chicago. After a period of inactivity, the Chicago Horticultural Society was restarted in 1943. In 1962, modern history begins when the Society agreed to help create and manage a new public garden. With the groundbreaking for the Garden in 1965 and its opening in 1972, the Society created a permanent site on which to carry out its mission. The mission encompasses three important components: collections, education, and research. In 2012, the Chicago Botanic Garden celebrated its 40th anniversary. In looking back over the Garden's growth since 1972, Garden staff, members, and visitors could appreciate the remarkable changes that had taken place. The 40th anniversary website included a timeline of significant events, historical photos, and opportunities for community members to share their experiences at the Garden

$25K - $50K
2012

The mission of the Chicago Botanic Garden is to promote the enjoyment, understanding, and conservation of plants and the natural world. The Garden continues to strive to meet the lofty goals set more than a century ago. The Chicago Botanic Garden, with its world-renowned plant collections and displays, is one of the country's most visited public gardens and a preeminent center for learning and scientific research. The 385-acre Garden features 26 display gardens and four natural areas, uniquely situated on nine islands surrounded by lakes. HISTORY The Chicago Horticultural Society was founded in 1890. At its heart was the understanding that the city of Chicago was incorporated with the Latin words Urbs in Horto, meaning "city in a garden." The Society hosted nationally recognized flower and horticultural shows from its beginning. Information on the first show the new Society hosted is lost to history, but records archived at the Chicago Botanic Garden confirm the second show was held in the autumn of 1892 at the Regiment Armory, possibly at 1542 South Michigan Avenue, where a new armory opened in 1890. With two successful annual shows behind them, the Society next hosted the World’s Columbian Exposition Chrysanthemum Show, held in conjunction with the world’s fair in the autumn of 1893, at the newly built and just-opened Art Institute of Chicago. After a period of inactivity, the Chicago Horticultural Society was restarted in 1943. In 1962, modern history begins when the Society agreed to help create and manage a new public garden. With the groundbreaking for the Garden in 1965 and its opening in 1972, the Society created a permanent site on which to carry out its mission. The mission encompasses three important components: collections, education, and research. In 2012, the Chicago Botanic Garden celebrated its 40th anniversary. In looking back over the Garden's growth since 1972, Garden staff, members, and visitors could appreciate the remarkable changes that had taken place. The 40th anniversary website included a timeline of significant events, historical photos, and opportunities for community members to share their experiences at the Garden

Political Donations
$1,000
1999

Former President of United States

$500
1997

Partner at Barnes & Thornburg LLP

Transactions
Details Hidden

W.W. Grainger, Inc. purchases Cromwell Group (Holdings) Ltd. from Gregory Family Office Ltd.

Public Holdings
Restricted data only for RelSci Professional users.
This web site is not endorsed by, directly affiliated with, maintained, authorized, or sponsored by John L. Howard. The use of any trade name or trademark is for identification and reference purposes only and does not imply any association with the trademark holder. The Presence of John L. Howard's profile does not indicate a business or promotional relationship of any kind between RelSci and John L. Howard.
  • be_ixf; php_sdk; php_sdk_1.4.15
  • https://news.relsci.com/person/john-l-howard-3162470
  • https://news.relsci.com/person/john-l-howard-3162470